Tuesday, 23 September 2014

READ: Lolita


Lolita has sat on my bookshelf, unread, for at least eight years. 

I tried to read it a few times over the years, but the writing style is one that you've just got to be in the mindset to read. This is set about sixty years ago and Humbert Humbert is maybe about fifty so he uses old, rich, poetic language which is a bit of a mouthful.

Humbert Humbert nearly has it away with his first love at the age of thirteen when she is just eleven and since then has wanted that play of events to happen again, despite him rapidly ageing and the situation very illegal. He bumbles his way through life and a wife in Paris and numerous hospitals for the insane, before hopping across the Atlantic to live in America where his initial plans fall through. He ends up living with a woman he could do without and her young daughter - Dolores (aka, Lolita).

Despite the actual weird perverted plot, the book is immensely addictive to read. I can't put it down. The way it's written is as though Humbert Humbert is talking in my head. The writing flows beautifully. It's a rose tinted, humorous, romantic novel.

I'm still only about a third of the way in, but I'm so curious to see what happens!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard so many great things about this book, my mums had it for years but i've never got round to reading it.

    Let me know when you're finished if it's worth the read :)

    Fleur x


    http://itsmefleur.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I loved this book! Such a great read!! xx

    www.roseandmuse.com
    www.roseandmusevintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wishing I had more time to read it to see what happens!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test