Wednesday, 28 January 2015

VISIT: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime


A couple of months back a friend from University posted about how great the theatre production of Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-time was. 

I'm not usually a theatre-goer (usually it's just to the Christmas panto), but this really stuck with me. Maybe because I want to get out more. Or maybe because I'd already read the book. Yeah, that's probably it, like.

So I booked it and waited. 

I thought it would be nice, but not very good until I got there and saw the stage - a cube with very few props and a stuffed dog with  garden fork sticking out of it in the centre.

It was sad, funny, serious, silly, happy, curious and overall extremely good.  The Lads little brother is Autistic and the way that this was presented to the audience made sense to me about how his little brother sometimes reacts in certain situations. Say, when Christopher (the main character in the play) got anxious or someone touched him, all the lights in the cube of the stage exploded off confusingly around the stage and the noise blanked everything else going on out, before he focused himself and continued walking down the street.

As with everything the little details really made it. The theatre was packed and every single person was kept gripped right up until the end - and then there was an encore!

If you do go to see this, stay until the confetti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test