Monday, 16 March 2015

READ: #7 Marly's Ghost, #8 The Girl On The Train, #9 An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth



I read this in one sitting on a Sunday night. A retelling of Scrooge, but for Valentines day, there's not much more to say than that.

I've not read Gone Girl (yet), but I think the premise could be very similar. A missing woman, a search to find out what happened, a twist at the end. I especially liked how the writer manages to point the finger at literally every character in the book making me think that it was a completely different person whodunnit in each section.

Loved this! Despite being an extremely influential person at NASA, Chris Hadfield writes in such a humble manner. It's as though he's chatting to me over a burger and just happens to be telling me the detailed ins and outs of how an astronaut thinks and why. It's fascinating, even for a person like me who hasn't really ever given much thought to how astronauts do their jobs. 
I also loved this for another reason - the underlying message. This is a self-help book. If I read it when I desperately needed a focus in life, this would get me out of that funk in an instant. Even now, whilst not in a funk, it's great to see my life from an alternative perspective. The morals are fairly basic, but the way they're told are expressed in a completely new and wonderful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test