Friday, 7 August 2015

LIFE: The Un/Employment Game


The other day the company I work for changed. It changed in ways I don't want to change. So, I'm looking for a new job.

Since deciding to leave, I've been looking for job roles I think I could fill and learn how to do and enjoy as much as I enjoy my current job.

And I've had two, rather disastrous interviews.

The first was a 'group session'. Most awkward. The second was an individual interview that I thought went quite well, but didn't as I 'failed to understand what circumstances might arise' - aka, it wasn't just admin.

Now, I could admit defeat and stay where I am, but on the flip side, I'm obviously doing something right to be invited to two interviews after applying for only five jobs. So, I admit I'm shite at interviewing and start working my ass off to be better at being me.

The three stages of a sorry-you-didn't-get-the-job phone call:

1. Do you have any feedback?
2. What specific questions could I have answered better?
3. Thank you for your time.

And then move the hell on. If the company you applied to work for is a good one, they will give you specific feedback to help you in the future. Before I got my current job, I applied literally everywhere and I got a handful of helpful phone calls versus a tonne of useless emails back. Emails are harder to respond to, but still, unless it states that no feedback will be given, email back and ask for it! If it's a sector you really want to work in, all feedback is good feedback and can help you get where you want to be.

For me, I need to research the roles I apply for thoroughly instead of winging it. It's something I'm prepared to do so fingers crossed for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test