Friday, 13 November 2015

READ: #39 The Angel Experiment, #40 The Snake, #41 The Accidental Hitman, #42The Life Changing Magic of Tidying


The Angel Experiment
This has been on my bookshelf since I was in my early teens. I enjoyed it much more back then, although I'm now intrigued as to how the story continues (formerly unbeknownst to me, there's actually eight other books in this series). A group of mutants (children with wings) are on a mission to rescue one of their 'flock' when their territory gets invaded by the minions of the School. They managed to escape the School four years ago and have lived in a mountain top chalet ever since - thinking they were safe. The youngest gets kidnapped and a massive trek (or rather flight) around America ensues. Firstly, back to the School in California, before taking a trip East to New York. I think the plot is very good, the writing could be condensed down A LOT. There's a lot of internal monologue which soon gets repetitive, but seeing as each book is written from the point of view of a different member of the flock, then maybe it would work in the larger scheme of things.

This is solely a digital ebook and isn't available to buy from bookstores in hard copy format. It only cost £1.50 and took me about an hour to read. It's a filler story from the Messenger of Fear series, a little taster for the kinds of things that might happen in the next book. Not much goes on to be fair, it's the retribution of another person who's committed a crime and got away with it in the eyes of the normal law. I liked it.

This is another ebook, and it was recommended to me after a brief stint working with a new team back in August. It's hilarious. Especially the first two thirds. Tom White has managed to kill his best friend, his first accomplice and now he's planning to kill his neighbour. What follows entangles him in a massive gangster war in which he's slap bang right in the middle of. I'd say that the author starts off really, really well and I found it a pleasure to read, however in the last third of the book, although the story is good, it's just not AS good as the first part. It kind of dribbles off and ends and I'm left thinking 'oh, that's it then'. This book only cost £2 so for that kind of money and the amount of laughing you'll do, it's definately worth buying.

I bought this because a) I saw a lot of other people reading it and b) I hadn't read any reviews. I've read many, many self help books from things like What is Depression? to The Happiness Project so I'm fairly accustomed to the kind of ways authors try to draw you into a subject what they believe is the key to a super life. This is one of those books. It does inspire you to open all your cupboards and sort through them and I like the one key point 'Does it spark joy?' because I've been trying to create an environment I love since the beginning of the year - this point really is key to a nice home. There is a lot of actual bollocks in this book too - like treating every object as a human. I get it. You have to really appreciate every object in your home for it to have a place in your home or for it to really bring you joy. But still. Sorry Marie, but you sound like a complete loony. Aside from all the spiritual side of things, I love this book and what it stands for. get rid of what you don't need RIGHT NOW, what you don't want and what you don't love and you'll end up with a home that's just perfect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test