Sunday, 6 December 2015

READ: #43 Monsters, #44 Daughter Of Smoke and Bone, #45 Her Fearful Symmetry, #46 Beauty


I loved the first few pages of this book when I saw it in Waterstone's. It's hilarious. So funny in fact, that the Lad and I read a chapter each aloud to each other because we both wanted to read it at once. I'm fairly certain that the narratives name isn't revealed at any point. She's a twelve year old girl with an obsession with gore and murders - which is good because there's a streak of murders happening in her summer hometown. Alongside Miles, they make an unlikely couple trying to solve the mystery of who the murderer is. It's a super read, if not a little bizarre towards the end.

I got given this for my birthday and I'm excited to receive the next in the series for Christmas as this book is SO GOOD. I'm dying to find out what happens next. Karou appears to be a normal teenage girl going to art school. She has a wild imagination as the pictures in the sketch book prove with images of half human, half creature beings which tell stories that keep her art teacher and best friend entertained. She always has a wry smile on her smile, keeps her blue hair long and carries teeth in her pockets. I love, love, love the twists and turns this story takes although some of them are obvious and the story falls into place in a very matter of fact way.

This has sat on my bookshelf for years and I've never got past the first few chapters before. I had to force myself to continue this time too, however towards the middle it starts getting interesting and gripped me until the end - which was good, but a tad disappointing. Elspeth dies of cancer on a hospital bed and become a spirit trapped in her old flat. In her Will she outlined that her nieces (who currently live with their mother, her twin, in America) should come and live in her flat in London for a whole year before selling it, should they want to. She watches developments and becomes a stronger and stronger spirit before one of the twins begins to see her and converse with her. It's a very odd story, but well written and it's shame that I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I should have.

This is, by far, my favourite book ever. I've read it so many times and I love it every single time.

Beauty's real name is Honour. Her sisters Grace and Hope are both beautiful and take after their deceased mother, but Beauty hasn't got that gene and falls short of her nickname. When her fathers shipyard business goes bust and with nothing else left to lose, they set off with Ger, Hope's bethrothed, into the wilderness of the North with the hopes of Ger setting up a blacksmith's and her father becoming a carpenter. The story of Beauty and the Beast continues along the premise of the Disney version, however in this one Beauty is a bookworm and spends a lot of time in the (futuristic) library before going down to dine with the Beast. The Beast also has the ability to send her father dreams about what Beauty has been doing and vice versa. It's a lovely tale, well written and a pleasure to read.

This is a poem. I'm not a great poem lover, however this one melts my heart. I don't want to say much about it because it will ruin the overwhelming emotions it brings up (I cry every time I read this) but it surrounds a child and a dog and the relationship between them.

Find me here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test