Sunday, 6 March 2016

BAKE: Madeira Cake


I love cake.

I especially like a good cup of tea and a slice of cake. Those are the best moments.

But, unfortunately I'm not very good at keeping fresh ingredients fresh - so that's a cream filling out the window. And I have about a dozen jam jars slowly creating a whole new type of mould in them at the back of my cupboard (yes, that is a priority in my Spring clean).

So, your usual Victoria Sponge isn't really do-able. Well, it is, but it'd be super dry.

Welcome the Madeira. 

With it's super high egg content, it's the perfect not-too-wet-not-too-dry-without-a-filliing cake. Just writing that makes me want to boil the kettle for yet another cuppa. And if you're feeling that way too, here's the recipe:

275g butter
175g plain flour
175g self raising flour
275g sugar
5 eggs

Cream together the butter and sugar and beat in the eggs one by one. Fold in the flours. If it gets a little stiff, use a bit of milk to get it back to a thick batter consistency. Pop into a tin and make a dimple in the middle so it doesn't look like Mount Everest when it's baked and put in the oven at 170C for about two hours.

Then enjoy with family and friends.

Find me here too!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I normally make a Victoria Sponge so i'll have to give this recipe a try next time i'm doing some weekend baking :)

    Caz | This is Caz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test