Friday, 22 April 2016

LIFE: Success


We went to Sussex for a wedding last weekend and we were seated next to three what I would normally refer to as 'highly successful couples'.

There was an estate agent (whose wife I never got to speak to), a buyer for Waitrose, a child psycologist, a crime scene investigator and a social worker/carer. 

These people weren't much older than I am and they seem to have achieved so much more than I could have even dreamed of. Even one of their incomes was more than mine and the Lads put together.

I sat there with my goats cheese tart in front of me and felt poor. In every.single.way.



I felt I should be striving for a better job, a better income, a better house, a perfect marriage, the perfect 2.4 children.

I felt that being in my mid twenties I should have got my shit together by now.

And the more I think about it and try to twist it around to make the term 'success' mean 'contentment in life', the more I think that society really doesn't want us to believe that.

The amount of eyebrow raising and 'oh'ing when I mention where we live and what we do - not just down South, but up here in the North too - makes me want to shrivel up completely so no-one can see or judge me.

I know that's impossible, but it doesn't make me want that to happen any less.

To me 'success' is all those aforementioned things. The house, the job, the status. And I know that me gaining all those things isn't impossible, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to get them.

The pressure to be successful is only growing with age. It's becoming unacceptable to still be where we are career and personal life wise. If you're not going for a career, why haven't you got married and had children already? If you're not interested in children, why aren't you flinging yourself at your work?

And all I can answer those things with is: I don't know.

I don't know.

But society keeps reminding me that I should.

Find me here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Skimlinks Test